Welcome to Valerian Night, where the story comes to you in snippets and snatches, snapshots and slivers of 300 words every week. Your input is valued and needed, for what you say may drive the story into a totally different direction. Follow the meandering coils of story that take Alyxa Fairchild onto a direct collision course with Nightmares, Dreams, Old Deities and New Heroes as her world collides with that of Réveille, the land of Waking Dreams and Dead Gods. Trail after Morpheus as he discovers the foibles and confusions of the human world and finds himself strangely enamoured thereof all the while trying to keep his Dreamer safe and ensure the continued peace of the Real World. Let the young Jazzy open your eyes and show you that the world you see is not necessarily the world you know...

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

XLV: Losing

It started the next day.


Jessica was brushing her teeth when she noticed that the world in the mirror was fading around the edges. She had to brace herself against the sink, knowing what it was.

“It’s alright, Jazzy,” she told herself, “take a breath. It’s okay.”

The phone chose to ring, but she already knew what it was. People to tell her that Morgan Mirkhill had passed away in the morning, found by Aeron Smithson. Most likely it was Aeron himself, but Jessica left that to surprise. She stumbled towards where the phone sat and whisked it to her ear.

“Yes?”

“Jessica?”

“Aeron,” she replied, “I’ve been waiting for your call.”

“I thought you might have been. You know, don’t you?”

“That Morgan is dead. She told me, yesterday,” Jessica told him, “can you come and pick me up? I assume she’s had all her things in order and the wake will be in a few hours?”

“You guessed correctly. You’re handling this better than I thought you would.”

Jessica tried not to laugh. As much as she hated it, Morgan was dead, and had given her a warning, so she was as prepared as she could be. She had not been particularly close to Morgan anyways.

“I can come and collect you in an hour. You’re not okay to drive?”

Jessica looked around, the fading had stopped spreading but it was enough to make her worry.

“No, I’m afraid not.”

“Already losing it then,” Aeron murmured, “I’m sorry, Jessica.”

“It’s alright,” Jessica lied, trying to still her heart-rate, “I’ll be ready. I’ll be waiting, call me on my cell when you get here, I don’t know how fast this is going to go.”

“Alright, honey.” Don’t call me honey, Jessica wanted to tell him, but she left it.

No comments:

Post a Comment